SAN VICENTE DE PAUL PARISH
San Vicente de Paul Parish is located in
San Marcelino St., Ermita, Manila beside of Adamson University’s CS walkway and
SV building. The parish was originally built as a chapel in 1883 and used as
parish church of Paco from 1898 to 1909. The concrete parish church was built
in 1912 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of the
Vincentians and sisters of charity in the Philippines
The church was total renovated in 2010. It
was almost razed to the ground when the American forces enter Manila in 1945.
Japanese burned the interior of the church in February 1945 when their defeat
was imminent.
St. Vincent de Paul is often referred to
as “The Apostle of Charity” and “The Father of the Poor” because he is the
patron of all charitable societies. He was born on April 24, 1581 from a poor
peasant family in the French Village of Pouy. His first education was provided
by the Franciscans and continued his studies when he earned money for being a
tutor at the University of Toulose to study theology. He was ordained in 1600
and remained to Toulose. He became a chaplain to the Count of Goigny and was
placed in charge of distributing money to the poor. He became a pastor of a
parish so he spent his life preaching missions and providing relief to the poor.
Giving charity has been his passion all his life. St. Vincent de Paul cofounded
the daughters of charity along with St. Louise de Marillac. The Bull of
Canonization recognized Vincent for his charity and reform of the clergy as
well as opposing in Jansenism He was 80 years old when he died in Paris on
September 27, 1660 which is his feast day. He had become the symbol of
successful reform of the French church.
The vision-mission of the church is
aligned with the vision-mission of archdiocese of Manila. It is to bring people
closer to God and to mould them to the likeness of their patron saint who is
St. Vincent de Paul who has a heart for the poor. In line with this they also
want to deepen the spirituality and devotion of the people together as one
community. They also aim to be a community that is called by God.
They have activities to encourage people
to join them by campaigning and posting announcements in the bulletin board. They
also have bible sharing every Sunday for the people to come and the parish may
be part of the lay ministry. They have 2 feast days which is on September 27
for the patron saint and November 27 for devotion of their lady of miraculous
medal.
For
other inquiries you may call the Parish on these contact no.
525 7853 / 524 2022 loc. 101
Comments
Post a Comment